To view more of Sophia's art go to

www.sophia-elise.artistwebsites.com/ or

to purchase prints and cards of her artwork go to

www.fineartamerica.com/shop/sophia-elise.html


If you see an artwork on this website that you like but it's already sold - please contact Sophia as she does commissions.





Sunday, August 17, 2008

Making art and Buying art

When I first started painting my mentor, artist IKS Robertson, said to me - "Make it Memorable" - that was his most valuable piece of advice.

I know that doesn't sound like a lot - but it's all you need. From that point on it fascinated me to see what artworks were memorable for me - and for others when visiting exhibitions, art events etc. The ones that were most memorable - weren't the high priced ones, or necessarily even the best - they were ones that emotionally moved me in some way. It s a bit like love - an irrational feeling beyond explanation that you have no control over.

When people buy art - three things happen - firstly you get their attention, secondly they become emotionally involved and thirdly they retain what they feel - and all of this happens in the blink of an eye.

That is why making it memorable when you are creating art is so important. People don't usually buy a painting that they don't connect with and can't remember.

This is why my goal as an artist is to emotionally and spiritually touch a viewer. When that happens I know I have succeeded - and it is a fantastic feeling.

"Make it Memorable"

No comments: